8 Things About Me
- Life would be near perfect if I owned shoes in every color of the rainbow.
- Miracles happen daily. I believe this with all my kidney.
- I have a love/hate relationship with CrossFit. Mostly hate.
- Happiness is a choice, and once chosen it's meant to be shared.
- Coke Zero and Hot Tamales are my two favorite food groups.
- If I'm not writing a book, I'm photographing something. (summerillphotography.com)
- Hugs are essential.
- I tend to speak before I think.
After completing a B.A. in English, I had aspirations to knock out the next great American novel. Mom always taught me to dream big. Writing proved tougher than I first thought, so I grabbed a Nikon and became a professional wedding photographer.
The scenic photography detour across the United States, Australia, and New Zealand provided world-building inspiration. After seven years, eight failed manuscripts, and a life-altering kidney donation experience, I finally had the vision to draft the debut young adult fantasy, EVER THE HUNTED. Since the novel's release, I've continued to publish work with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
I am currently enrolled in an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults at Vermont College of Fine Arts.
When I'm not writing, I enjoy guiding writers through the writing process. You can find me in Utah at writing workshops for teens and adults. Or you can contact me to find out how I can present in your area.